Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Be Careful What You Wish For....

Well world, are you ready for this? I am gainfully employed in the world of healthcare!

I have been hired by Yup, I'll be a hospice nurse. Now, I'm not going to go into an exposition explaining and justifying why anyone would choose to spend their time with those at the end of their lives except to say that it is the job that I've always said 'If I ever had the opportunity to do whatever nursing I wanted....' Everyone has something like that, right? It's not explainable. If you don't 'get it' then it's best just to accept it. I find end of life nursing to be incredibly interesting, challenging and most of all fullfilling. The patients I remember most vividly in my career were those to whom I attended on their journey home. Therein lies my apprehension. It is scary enough to start something new...but to actually get what you wish for? I've always had a whole list of excuses why I couldn't take a job with hospice and this place shot them all down. So now I have the job I have always said I wanted and on my own terms. Whoa. Is it getting hot in here? I've never been so nervous about a new job.
So now I'm off to go pee in a bottle. Once the drug test, license check and background check come in I'll get a start date. As boring as I am I don't foresee anything interesting there. So what changes will I make around chez Harvey? I'm not sure yet. I guess that will make for blog fodder over the next months, eh?
I have to go drink some water now...

No comments: